Sunday, October 02, 2011

Brody Dalle Discusses Spinnerette's Debut Album


Former Distillers frontwoman takes complete creative control

By: Unknown
For: NME.com
Date: November 13th, 2008


Brody Dalle's new band Spinnerette have finished recording their debut album at a Los Angeles studio, and plan to release it themselves in the US this February.

Dalle said that after her renowned punk band
The Distillers broke up, she was looking for a new direction to take her music and complete creative control.

“I didn't want to do a fucking monkey dance for people who don't care about art,” she told NME.COM. “I want to be more art focused and call the shots.”

Brody explained that Spinnerette had initially signed to Sire Records, but became disillusioned working with the major label and decided to put out the album independently.

“The state of the industry has pushed us into wanting to put the album out ourselves,” Dalle said. “I'm not interested in getting entangled into the system. I just got out of a deal and I walked out with my record, thank God, and I'm really grateful for that.”

Dalle revealed that Spinnerette was formed “by accident” after The Distillers disbanded and she began jamming with guitarist Alain Johannes (Queens Of The Stone Age, Eleven).

“I started demoing with Alain after I had my daughter in 2006, she explained. “I was looking for a place to get my songs out of my head. I wrote a lot of the record on bass and worlitzer and the rest on guitar. One day Alain started writing stuff over my songs and it kind of was kismet - an accidental thing that turned into Spinnerette. And it got more exciting the more we went along. The first song we did was 'Cupid' and then we did 'Ghetto Love' and we both were just blown away.”

Dalle said that the birth of her daughter with husband Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age influenced her writing, as did the death of her father.

She admitted: “Being a mother has changed my songwriting. My father died a year ago, and that influenced me as well. It's been like a firestorm the past couple of years…deaths and redemption, salvation, religious themes - it's all in there.”

As for being married to one of rock's most renowned frontmen, Dalle said, “We support each other. We definitely have opinions. Queens Of The Stone Age's music is so powerful and distinguished. The songwriting is so high-class it pushes me to write better.”